Optometry is a registered profession and has been since 1956. The regulator up to 31/10/2015 was The Opticians Board. From 01/11/2015 the regulator is CORU (Health & Social Carae Professions Council through the Optical Registration Board.)
The functions of the Optical Registration Board are:
- To register new optometrists when they qualify in Ireland
- To register optometrists who have qualified in other countries
- To deal with fitness to practice complaints
- To look after the public interest in respect to the profesion
- Health & Social Care professions Act 2005. (and amendments)
- Optical Regsitration Board bye-laws that apply to registrants.